Pages

Monday, June 11, 2018

why paid news is not required to make money

I read news of course. Unlike some creeps who propagate that reading news is not healthy, I have no such qualms. Of course news is fun. 

I read news for only two reasons. It should give me some kick, and fun. If it does not interest me, I chuck it. Or it should help me make money. Usually the latter never happens unless it is coming from the insiders. I mean I could perhaps make money based on the published interviews of the management of a company. But more often, I read news for the sake of fun, just fun, nothing more than that. I am not interested in gaining knowledge out of news; general knowledge is overrated and exhausting. 

When it comes to investing, I don't pay heed to others' opinions. There are plenty of sources such as quarterly reports, annual reports, analyst presentations, and transcripts coming straight from the company. Why bother looking for some idiot's opinion about whether for instance, ICICI bank or Chipotle is a good buy or sell? I believe in doing my homework and then acting or not acting based upon it. 

This is a reason good enough for me not to subscribe to any of the paid news. There is already an overflow of real time news on both TV and the Internet. That is more than enough. If I need drama, I could pick up a book, or even some old news articles freely available on the net. For instance, if I want to read about Salomon Brothers and Berkshire Hathaway's episode, I simply go to my ever obedient secretary, Google. There you go, to keep busy for a few hours on the drama. Why the heck do I need paid subscriptions?

I check out a few newspapers that I pick for only headlines. If something sounds interesting and fun, I go further. With so much information freely available, there ain't much time for me to read every bit of it. There are better things to do in life than be submerged in the news whole day. 

In short, news yes; fun yes; any news that costs me is a big no. Generally, I have no regard for someone else's opinions. There are a few people who I admire for sure. Except for that, if it is an opinion, I like mine better; if it is a fact, yeah, I will take it. Paid news about a stock or a business is almost always somebody's opinion. I would rather pick up the financial reports and frame my own opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment