Pages

Friday, December 21, 2018

pabrai, care ratings, and sell decisions

I am going to keep this post short. Care Ratings is trading at Rs.973.25 now. The low price was Rs.950.10 in November 2018 and the high price was Rs.1,430 in January 2018. So much has happened in during the year in the Indian markets too. 

I don't know why Mohnish Pabrai bought Repco Home Finance during April-September 2018, and I don't know why he sold much of the shares in November 2018 for loss. 

But then again I don't know why he bought Care Ratings. As of September 2018, the company had 29.461 m shares, and Pabrai funds owned 2.369 m shares (over 8%). 



Now I don't know why he sold shares in December 2018 for loss.






He sold 845 k shares at Rs.985.75 apparently for some loss on 20 December 2018. There are certain things in Pabrai's favor. He is a smart investor with historical returns behind him. He sounds good when he talks and writes; there aren't any stupid, irrational concepts that he brings in his philosophy. He is a long term investor, not bothered by short term events. And he is a huge Buffett and Munger fan.

So what made him sell Repco and Care Ratings in such a short time? I have noted earlier that he may have a better idea to deploy his capital. But then, there is another thing that I think may have triggered his sells at loss. Is that tax-loss harvesting? I am not too sure, but Pabrai is a smart investor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment